- This event has passed.
Dessert Bars Contest
September 3 @ 2:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Present a platter of your freshly prepared dessert bars, along with the written recipe, to the fair where you are competing.
We are searching for delicious dessert bar recipes, that contain a minimum of four whole eggs. They can be layered, include fruit, nuts or even topped with meringue. Once baked in a 9×13” pan, they can be cut into squares, rectangles, or whatever shape you think appropriate. They can be frosted, served plain, or dusted with powdered sugar. The dessert bars should be portioned out and presented for judging on a plate or platter.
Who can enter?
Entrants must be Virginia residents, but not necessarily a resident in the community where the local contest is being held. Some fairs have residency requirements, so you’ll need to contact them first.
✓ Those under 18 may compete but will be judged as adults.
✓ You may enter multiple contests around the state, however, should you place first, second or third, you may no longer compete in another local fair’s contest, and may represent the local fair at which you won, in the state finals at the State Fair of Virginia on Sept. 30, 2023.
Written recipe must include:
- All ingredients along with the amount of each, listed in order of use, using correct abbreviations.
- Type and size of pan or baking dish (approx. 9×13 size is what we’re looking for in this contest)
- Baking or cooking temperature and length of time to be cooked
- All directions should be clear, precise, and easy to understand and follow (typewritten if possible).
- Number of servings or yield
- Recipe must include a minimum of four whole eggs.
- Suggest where to find foreign or unusual ingredients or what to substitute for them.
- Contestant’s name, address, phone, email needs to be on the back along with FAIR’s name
Proper food handling:
- Recipes calling for under-cooked eggs may be used as long as it clearly specifies to use pasteurized eggs in the shell or liquid pasteurized eggs and these have been used to prepare this entry recipe.
- If entry needs to be kept COLD or HOT, it must be delivered in a cooler or insulated food carrier that’ll keep your entry at the proper temperature for judges to sample safely.
- Once dish is prepared, be aware of cross contamination from other foods or soiled utensils.
Presentation of the finished product for judging:
Some fairs will want recipe entries presented on/in disposable containers. Others won’t care. Since presentation is important, a trip to the dollar store might be worth it since you may need to leave containers. The dessert bars should be portioned out (squares, rectangles, or other shapes) for judging and on a plate.
Judging will be based on:
- Overall Appearance
- Followed contest requirements
- Recipe directions easy to understand and follow
Contact your local fair or the Virginia Egg Council at email@example.com